Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Obon is heating up

I must be crazy. Today was 97 degrees with a humidity of 87% and here I was riding my bicycle to work. What's wrong with me? I could have had a heat stroke. I arrived all wet and panting, and it took over two hours to rehydrate.

Most Japanese people are off of work and school this week because the heat is too much for them. They return to their hometowns and pay homage to their ancestors by tending to grave sites. Then move quickly back into the air conditioning. This ritual and time period is referred to as Obon.

Ironically, while my job doesn't give us time off, I've been working six-day weeks for the most of the last two months so that I can go to my brother's wedding in the States. I'm having my own personal return to see the family (even if it's not in my hometown...most of the extended family will be there and will be meeting Randy for the first time). I guess I get Obon after all!

Now, I'm just praying that the heat will have subsided significantly by the time I return. Please?!?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home