Friday, June 29, 2007

Mushiatsui...

That's Japanese for humid. I lived in Wyoming growing up where it could easily get to be over 100 degrees Fahrenheit (38 degrees Celcius) in the summers. You could see the heat in transparent waves coming off of the hood of a car or roof of a shed. But it was a dry heat, something I never truly realized until I moved to...

...Virginia Beach, VA. Humidity was new for me, and I found it hard to breathe, having grown up with asthma. Summers there were sometimes stifling. But it was near the ocean and had a breeze which kept it moving, something I never realized until I moved to...

...Middletown, CT, in the Connecticut River Valley. The valley kept the air from moving and so the humidity would just sit there. We would shower three times a day just to keep cool and would still sweat in the middle of summer. But it was pretty far North, being in New England, something I never realized until I moved to...

...Kyoto, Japan. Apparently from what I hear from my students, Kyoto has the most extreme weather in Japan (I'll let you know about the winter when it arrives!). In summers, it has the heat of Wyoming, the southern latitude of Virginia Beach, and sits in a river valley like Connecticut. It's the triple whammy.

I have heard the expression that "the heat hung in the air," and I thought I'd seen that before, but I have today truly seen this for the first time. You can literally see a thick haze in the air. Visibility is reduced. It's like walking through a sauna. I drip with sweat every time I leave my apartment. I shower multiple times a day (once after riding my bike home from work, once before going to sleep, and once before leaving for work). It doesn't make much of a difference. The only time I wear clothes in my apartment is to video chat on Skype. Even my friends in Osaka don't realize what this is like. Going to work there is a relief for me each night.

So here's the bad part. It's only 32 degrees Celcius today (about 89 degress Fahrenheit), but with 83% humidity. It's supposed to get gradually worse until August when it is going to be around 39 degrees Celcius (102.2 degrees Fahrenheit) with 95% humidity!

I'm a little frightened.

I'll keep you posted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home