Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Teacher Spencer?

I posted an ad on a bulletin board, looking for English students for private lessons. One man named Toshiro (call me "Toby" he said) called me, saying that his small English school lost a teacher and he needed someone for 3 lessons Tuesdays from 6-9pm. He offered me 2500 yen (about $21) for each of the three lessons. One class has one student and the other two have two students each. It is a little less money than I was hoping for when teaching more than one student at a time, and it was on my day off. At the same time, at this point, I pretty much need to take what I can get so I agreed to come for one week and try it out anyway.

I was left alone in the upstairs loft of what used to be a sushi restaurant Toby owned before opening the school. Just me and a fan and a dry erase board. For some reason I wasn't nervous. And then the students filed in.

Well, each class was better than the next. I had an amazing time connecting with these students. They were interesting and fun to talk with. I didn't have to have a lesson plan (although I will in the future), so we just talked and got to know one another. As I corrected their grammar or explained concepts to them on the white board and then asked them to put it into practice, I realized: I'm actually teaching!

We had a good time, they asked great questions, and I could see them get better. I'm actually good at this! They were eager students, and I was overwhelmed with the difference between this and what I do in Osaka. I am grateful for my experience at NOVA and the rehearsal time it gave me, preparing me to be a "real" teacher. It was invigorating and exciting to know it could be like this. I have a newfound sense of joy in being here and feel much better about my decision to come to Japan.

I was so energized that my 45-minute bike ride home only took me 25 minutes!

I think I will sleep well again tonight.

1 Comments:

Blogger Randy Matthews said...

i am so proud of you and everything you have accomplished. and i am happy that you are enjoying private teaching, as you told me you would.

i love you.

June 13, 2007 at 12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home