Monday, June 11, 2007

Drool

So many Japanese people sleep on the train because they are simply exhausted and commute for so long. I looked at my schedule and know that in order to move from the night shift to days, I am going to have to pick up 14 hours of private lessons a week to make up the difference in pay. That means working a total of 48 hours a week and commuting 15 a week.

When I'm not commuting to Osaka anymore, that will give me back 10 hours a week (I'll still have to commute, but only 3
0 min each way a day). I can dedicate those 10 hours to privates, so that's still 48 hours a week of work, but more time overall for other things like Aikido. Still with me?

Point being, I'm running the risk of becoming one of these Japanese men who works so hard he just passes out on the train. And since I have at least two more months of commuting, I may end up looking like the guy in this photo I took on the train yesterday:

His head kept bobbing around, ending up on the woman's shoulder next to him, then her lap, then the window again. She was trying to sleep too. People here are so concerned with not rocking the boat or disturbing one another that she let him lay with his head in her lap with a horrified look on her face. She didn't know him at all, and she'd rather be disturbed than disturb him. I only hope I get the same treatment when I wake up from drooling all over some lady's purse!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home