Monday, May 26, 2008

Preparation Vaccinations

After some research, I went to get my vaccinations. I looked at the info Randy's doctor gave me, as well as the guide books, and it turns out that in order to go to my combination of Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand, I would need:
  • a Diptheria/Tetanus shot,
  • a Hepatitis A series (1 shot, and then another one year later),
  • a Hepatitis B series (1 shot, then another a month later, and then a third one 3 or 4 months after that),
  • a Typhoid shot,
  • a Japanese B Encephalitis series (3 shots, a week apart)
  • a Polio booster shot,
  • a Measles/Mumps/Rubella booster shot,
  • and Malaria pills.
You only need the Measles/Mumps/Rubella shot once as an adult, and I had it in 1992 before college. You only need a Polio booster once as an adult, and I had that in 1999, before going to Europe and Morocco. So those are taken care of.

I had a Typhoid shot in 2001, before going to Turkey, but it only lasts 2-3 years, so I have to do it again. I also got the first Hep A shot and the first 2 Hep B shots, but I never finished the series because I lost my health insurance at the time. The doctor told me I probably still have some immunity built up, so I only need one of each to get me through this trip, but I should consider finishing the series up when I return. If you finish the A series, you're good for at least 20 years. If you finish the B series, you are probably good for life.

The hospital I was referred to is a Baptist Hospital all the way on the far side of Kyoto, up in the Eastern mountains. After two hours there, I was only give the Hep A in one arm and the Dip/Tet in the other arm, in addition to a prescription for the Malaria pills. The two shots cost me almost $100. They don't carry the other vaccinations on hand, so they sent me to the city hospital to ask about those.

I went to the city hospital, but I got there just at 5pm, and they were closing the outpatient services. I have to go back in the morning (even though he isn't there on Tuesdays) and do my patient intake forms for the pediatrician I need to see. Apparently in Japan, only pediatricians give vaccinations at public hospitals.

So then I went to get my prescription filled for the Malaria pills. You have to take one pill every week, starting a week before you go, continuing for 4 weeks after you get back home! I took them before in Morocco, so I know they make me sort of nauseous and give me mild diarrhea. But I'm going to be in lush, mountainous climates during the rainy season (especially in Northern Thailand), and historically, the mosquitoes love the Spencer juice! So I'm better nauseous than sorry...

Of course, they don't just have Malaria pills on hand at your local drug store, so my local place was plum out. They are seeking them out for me, calling around to other pharmacies, trying to locate them for me. Good thing I started this process early!

By the time I finished all of this, it was after 7pm, and so I missed my chance to go to Aikido, which is probably just fine, since the shots left me with sore arms and a dull headache.

So I went to a shrine I've always wanted to go to, tucked into the base of the Western mountains (opposite side of Kyoto from the hospital). It was closed. Many temples close at around 5:30 or 6, but shrines usually stay open. Unfortunately, this one closes at 6. I walked around the area, and realized how beautiful it was there. It's on the Katsura River, just about a mile South of Arashiyama.

The riverside, the mountains in the background, the wildflowers blooming, the kids playing in the green park, people gathering along the river to have a BBQ... I went back to the giant doors for the shrine, and watched as one person at a time would intermittently and silently come through the orange gate, walk up to the closed doors, and do their clap twice and pray routine. I'd never seen people do it facing a closed door before! There was about 5-10 minutes between visitors, and I sat on the steps leading up to the doors. Eventually, I figured I might as well follow suit, so I went to the doors, clapped twice, bowed, and then started to cry. I didn't even know why. I was lonely and scared, and frustrated and tired, and anticipating missing this place that I haven't finished exploring yet. I wish I had another year here, but with Randy here with me. These places and moments of peace aren't something he and I really got to experience much of together.

So I stood there with my eyes closed, tears streaming down my face, praying for "smoothness." Smoothness in the upcoming transitions. In my goodbyes to people here. In my personal goodbye to Japan. In my travels through SE Asia. In my return to my babe. In our adjustment to living together. In the upcoming life decisions. All I want is the peace and harmony I could feel in that spot, not even inside the shrine, but at it's doors, surrounded by nature as the sun began to set. I want that feeling to continue...

What I got in that doorway was an injection of what I needed most. I hope it builds up antibodies and strengthens me in the upcoming months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home